If you are ready to take the next step in your Army career, you are going to need an amazing promotion packet. This packet stands before the board in your place for Army Reserve promotion boards. It represents you and everything you have achieved thus far in your Army career. In the Active Duty Army, your promotion packet accompanies you to the Promotion Board.
Before you can even put a promotion packet together, you need to make sure that you meet the requirements for promotion.
- Have a passing APFT (180+) in the last 12 months.
- Have a passing Height and Weight in the last 6 months.
- Have a passing M-16 weapons qualification in the last 12 months.
- Have no active flags for any reason.
- Have the appropriate length of Time is Service (TIS) and Time in Grade (TIG) for the rank you are going before the board for.
- Have completed Structured Self Development Level 1 (SSD1).
- Have completed Warrior Leader Course (WLC).
If you have satisfied the above requirements, this means you are eligible for promotion. The next step is to get you promotion packet information together. Start making copies of any certificates, orders, awards, etc. you have earned during your time in the Army.
The Promotion Packet Checklist
The promotion packet will consist of:
- All copies of DA Form 3355 (Promotion Point Worksheet) (to include original initial) and promotion point worksheet supporting documentation form.
- A copy of approved promotion board proceedings.
- All supporting documentation used for reevaluation or promotion point adjustment.
- Upon out-processing, a copy of the recommended list dated no earlier than the previous month will be added to the packet.
- Any document used to confirm promotion points on the promotion point addition worksheet form. DD Form 214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) is a valid promotion point source document.
- All documents used to confirm promotion points will be date stamped the date received at the PROM on the front of the document to produce an audit trail.
- Memorandum signed by the Soldier stating his/her responsibility in the promotion system.
- All copies of DA Form 3355 will be retained in the promotion packet until the Soldier is promoted, then removed and given to the Soldier. Soldiers will be advised to keep documents in a safe and readily accessible place.
Reference: AR 600-8-19
Everything mentioned in this promotion packet checklist should also be included in your “I Love Me” book.